Today I had my bi-weekly doctor's appointment. Everything went really well: I didn't gain any weight this time, blood pressure was great and the baby's heart rate sounded good and strong. The baby had hiccups when she was listening to the heart so it was kind of funny to hear on the Doppler thingy. I had to get the group B strep test today (yuck) and the doctor confirmed that I am, in fact, ONE centimeter dilated. She said that's pretty normal for a second baby and it doesn't really mean anything b/c there are no other changes taking place. However, I am excited about this b/c when I was 40 weeks pregnant with Maria, I wasn't even a tiny, little finger tip dilated. So, to me this is a good sign. Some of you know that I have been struggling with the decision on whether or not to have a scheduled c-section or to try and do it the way God intended (which is known as a VBAC) The doctor told me I could do the VBAC, but 3 things have to take place:
1) I have to go into labor on my own. She will not induce me.
2) I can't be overdue.
3) The baby can't weigh more than 8.5 pounds.
So, if all of those things fall into place, I could have the opportunity to have the birth I've always wanted. However, in case that doesn't happen, I went ahead and scheduled a potential date for a c-section. The deal is, if, by the grace of God, I go into labor on my own anytime before May 8th, then I am going to try to have a normal delivery. If nothing happens naturally, then I will have the c-section on Friday, May 8th at 9:30 am. Gerry and I have thought and prayed long and hard about this decision and we feel we are making the best decision for our family. I am not and will not be happy about a c-section. But what I want most of all if for our baby to be safe and healthy. I'm not stupid or stubborn enough to try and take a risk just to prove a point.
Enough about that. The really exciting news of the day is the construction FINALLY started on our basement today. We decided to get half of our basement finished and we hired a company to do it. We've been kicking the idea around for a while and it took the company a few weeks to get everything in motion with the permits and all. But the guy finally started framing today. We are building a playroom and an office. They are finishing off the stairs as well. We are hoping and praying to get it done before the baby comes, but we'll see.
I mentioned last time that my mom was pretty sick but I think she is on the road to recovery. Her doctor told her she could go back to work next Tuesday. This past Tuesday, she came over to our house and we cooked 2 huge, delicious lasagnas. We ate dinner together and then went to Babies R Us for some last minute baby stuff and then went to Old Navy. It was great to hang out with her and have her and Maria spend time together. Maria loves her Grandma Birdie!!!!
No pictures this time but I will have plenty up after this coming Easter weekend!