Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Day 4 & 5

Monday
The days are getting harder.  The pain is changing.  One day, the pain feels like a terrible sore throat.  The next, the pain is more in my ears and jaws. Sometimes it's a dull, achy feeling.  Other times it is very sharp and intense.

I rolled out of bed around 9 am again.  This was Gerry's first day back to work so I was a little worried about how things would go.  My mom is still here taking care of the girls.  They were actually pretty good most of the morning.

I tried to eat some scrambled eggs again, but just couldn't do it.  I can't seem to get my mouth open wide enough to chew.  It hurts too much to try.  So my mom made me some watered down oatmeal.  It hit the spot!

I have been taking my pain medicine pretty regularly, every 4 hours.  After I got out of the shower last night, I noticed a rash developing on my chest and shoulders.  It was a little itchy.  Gerry talked to the doctor and she suggested it might be an allergic reaction to the antibiotic I am taking.  So she told me to stop taking that and try a benadryl.  That knocked me out for most of the night.  However I did wake up a few times very sweaty and itchy during the night.

Tuesday
So after an uncomfortable night, I woke this morning to discover the rash had spread to the back of my neck and most of my trunk. I was very itchy and uncomfortable. My mom talked to the doctor again and she said it was probably a reaction to the pain medicine.  Great. Now I can't even take that! So my next dose of the percocet was supposed to be at 10 am, and I took 800 mg of Ibuprofen instead.  I can rotate that every 4 hours with 1000 mg of Tylenol. I can't switch to any other pain pills because everything contains codeine, and that's what I am probably allergic to.

I ate some oatmeal again, and more jello.  I've been using the ice pack on my neck which feels really good.  By the middle of the day, I was actually able to talk a little better.  My jaws didn't hurt as bad and my tongue wasn't as swollen.  Then my mom suggested that maybe the pain medicine was causing my mouth to be more swollen that it would have been normally.  This made sense, since I have had allergic reactions to other medicines in the past and it has affected my tongue and mouth. As the day went on, my head felt more clear.  The rash began to go away and I realized just how crappy the percocet was making me feel.

My throat still hurts from the surgery, like bad tonsillitis, but the rest of my mouth feels better in general, since everything isn't so swollen.  Maybe the rash was a blessing in disguise?

For dinner tonight I was able to eat a fried egg with a piece of soft bread, some small bites of canned fruit and a very small piece of a soft cinnamon roll. Gerry said it felt as though I was "back", he said he kind of missed me.  So I guess I was acting really drugged up!

So I'm still waiting for the pain to become unbearable...when the scabs fall off.  Especially now that I'm not taking anything heavy duty for the pain.  I'm praying that I will be able to handle the worst without going crazy.

2 comments:

Rebecca said...

You poor thing...this sounds HORRIBLE! My sister had her tonsils out during college and I clearly didn't give her enough respect during those healing days. This is ridiculous.

Laura G said...

Hope your starting to feel better! And maybe getting to eat a little more food!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...