Thursday, March 25, 2010

A Very Productive Day

Yesterday was a great day!  There were a lot of things on my "to do" list and I wasn't quite sure I was going to get it all done.  But I did.

I packed up the kids and was pulling out of the driveway at 10:00 am.  We headed up to the mall to get Maria some new tennis shoes.  She was crabbing every time I put her shoes on so I figured it was time for new ones.  The last pair we bought her was in September when she started pre-school.  I think tennis shoes that hold up for 6 months on a toddler are pretty good, so I was hoping to find the same brand at a decent price.

Things seem so much easier when I leave the house with both kids now.  The fact that I am leaving the house at all is proof of that.  Maria has been such a joy to take out.  Six months ago, all she did was run away.  She hated the stroller and would scream the whole time she was in it.  (Good thing we spent so much money on that Graco double stroller when Naomi was born...) Maria wouldn't stay by me, she didn't want to hold my hand...it was insane.  I refused to take her to any store.  Even the park was hard because she would run away.  It's hard to chase down a 2 year old in a crowd of children while pushing a stroller, as well.  But lately, she just seems to understand that she has to stay by me.  She even shows fear of certain things...like cars.  Which is a good thing.  She understands that "Cars will hit you" if you get in their way.  When I take her to the grocery store or Wal-Mart, she's even a little afraid of the other shopping carts. (Which can sometimes be just as dangerous as cars) She always asks if she can "walk like a big girl" when I get her out of the van.  She knows she has to hold my hand otherwise she'll have to go in the stroller.  So, she does a pretty good job.

Yesterday was no exception.  As we walked through the mall to get to the shoe store, we saw the Easter Bunny down on the lower level.  I tried to point him out to Maria, but it broke my heart because I knew she couldn't see him.  She pointed out some flowers and some other decorations.  When I asked her to wave to the bunny, she waved in the wrong direction.  God love her.  (Obviously, she doesn't wear her glasses out in public)

We picked out some cute little tennis shoes and headed towards the Easter Bunny so I could get sucked into spending WAY too much money for pictures.  Their was no line, in fact, the Bunny was up walking around waving to kids walking by.  To my surprise, Maria walked right up to the Bunny and gave her a high 5.  Naomi was waving like crazy. Since they both seemed pretty happy with the giant rabbit, I gave in and let them take the picture.  Maria did not want to sit on her lap, but she was happy to stand in front of the bunny. I paid $17 for 2 3x5s.  But, it turned out to be a great picture.  (even though the color was way off.  The girls are wearing teal, not royal blue)




After pictures, we needed to eat lunch so I went to Qdoba in the mall.  I was able to wheel the giant bus stroller into the restaurant and find a table where I could keep all our stuff close by.  Lunch was a success and I was very proud that I was able to take both kids out to lunch...ALL BY MYSELF.  Who would've thought???

The last thing on my list was Wal-Mart.  (boo)  I had to get a few things and I promised Gerry I would get something for dinner for at least the next 2 nights so he wouldn't have to stop on his way home for work.

I pulled in, threw both kids in the giant stroller, handed Maria her snack cup full of goldfish to distract her enough from wanting to walk on her own.  Poor Naomi had been sleeping on the ride from the mall to Wal-Mart and I reclined the stroller for her, hoping she would just go back to sleep...no such luck!

All 3 of us were exhausted when we got home.  Thankfully, both kids napped and I was able to watch American Idol from the night before.  It's a lot of work to leave the house...but it's so nice to get them out, especially since the weather is so nice. Now that I am just getting used to the idea of getting out more because Maria is much easier...Naomi is not that far away from the dreaded age of craziness!  I know I don't have long before she's walking and demanding her independence so I'm going to enjoy it while I can!!!!

1 comment:

Rebecca said...

That is a MAJOR day! The fact that you did that all by yourself is monumental! I love it!!! I love the picture too...we all know it's too much money, but it's just so damn cute (especially when they don't try to body-slam the Easter Bunny)!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...