Monday, December 7, 2009

And the Stockings Were Hung...

This weekend was St. Nick's Day. We don't have a chimney so we hung the girl's stockings on the next best thing...the baby gate that runs across the front of our living room! I was so excited to get Maria up so she could see what St. Nick left in her stocking. She was more excited about the candy in the top, that she didn't even want to see what else was in the stocking. She figured it out soon enough and discovered that St. Nick left her some coloring books, a snowman Pez dispenser, Christmas Pajamas and Speed Stacking cups. She saw the cups on TV a few months ago was really fascinated with them. Naomi had a few things in her stocking as well. St. Nick left her some new pacifiers, Christmas Pajamas that match Maria's, and an inflatable rolling cylinder that is supposed to help babies learn to crawl.










After we played with all the new toys and ate lots of candy, we headed over to my mom's for brunch and to help put up outside Christmas lights. It was very cold, but Maria had a great time running around outside.

Friday morning I had my ever-so-delightful oncologist appointment. This is the one where the doctor checks every inch of my skin from head to toe...literally. I have to go every 6 months until I've been cancer free for 5 years. Here is the conversation we had when the doctor walked in the room:

Doctor: "Wow. You're really white!"

Me: "Uhhh...yeah. You told me to stay out of the sun."

Doctor: "Do you go outside at all?"

Me: "No, I'm actually afraid of the sun, now."

Doctor: "Well, you can't live in fear your whole life. Have you had your vitamin D level checked because you are REALLY white?! I bet it is low!"

(This coming from the doctor who, a year and a half ago, explained to me that I was to avoid the sun at all cost. She even told Gerry and I that we should consider only letting our kids play indoor sports because melanoma is hereditary, and that would lower our kid's risk.)

Doctor: "You can't live your whole life indoors and you have to get some Vitamin D. You need to wear sun protective clothing and always wear sunscreen. Are your kids as white as you are?"

Me: (feeling stupid for being so conservative and now worrying about Maria's Vitamin D levels...hoping that the giant amounts of milk she's been drinking are helping her in that department) "Yes...my kids are pretty white. They don't go out in the sun either"

Overall, the visit ended on a positive note. She didn't see anything on me that looked suspicious, which is great. I go to the dermatologist in 2 weeks. It will be great to go see him and for once, not have anything removed!

On Saturday, Gerry and I were adventurous and took both kids out to breakfast, then to the mall, then we even went to Wal-Mart! I know, we were brave! Actually the entire day was pretty successful. Both kids were awesome. The mall wasn't even that crowded, which was surprising. Now we are almost finished with Christmas shopping. Just 2 people left to buy for!!!! I've never been done this early!

Saturday evening, Gerry's family came over for dinner. We had baked mostaccioli, salad, bread, and cheesecakes for dessert. We are honored to announce that Karen and John officially asked all of us to be in their wedding! Now I have a year and a half to lose some weight and prepare myself to wear a strapless dress! Maybe I will even get a spray tan for the big occasion. I wouldn't want to scare anyone with my translucent skin! Ha ha!

That sums up our fun weekend! We hope everyone out there got a little somethin' in their stockings, too!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...