Monday, November 2, 2009

Someone's in the Kitchen with Mommy



On Thursday, I had a wild idea to bake chocolate chip cookies with Maria. I had no idea how this was going to turn out. It could be a great, fun bonding experience with my daughter...or it could be a complete disaster. Whatever the outcome, I had to remind myself that, like any project with a 2 year old, it's the PROCESS not the PRODUCT. Secretly I was hoping the cookies would turn out well because I was really, really craving chocolate chip cookies!

Fortunately...it wasn't that bad. Everything was going great. She was helping me dump in all the dry ingredients and we were having a great time. However, that quickly changed when I realized that Maria was deathly afraid of my hand mixer. As soon as she saw me get it out of the box, she started freaking out. She climbed down off the chair and held on to the back of my leg until I was finished using it. I kept telling her it would be okay and that it wasn't scary...but she didn't buy it. I have never seen her react this way to the mixer before. I felt bad, but it was kind of funny.

After I scarred her for life with the mixer, she got back up on the chair to help me mix in the chocolate chips. She seemed to loosen up and have fun again. I gave her her own little bowl of dough and her own cookie sheet. That's when the real mess began. She started scooping the dough out with her hands and trying to put it on the cookie sheet. I had to just keep breathing and let her do it. She was trying so hard.

All in all, the cookies turned out pretty good. Maria enjoyed watching them bake in the oven. When she sees the mixer on top of the fridge, she points to it and says "It's too loud. I cried" Poor thing.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...