Friday, November 11, 2011

Days 6,7 and 8!

Wednesday and Thursday
These days were kind of blurred together.  No major changes.  The pain changed again, but never really got unmanageable, and for that I am so thankful!

I'm still surviving on chicken noodle soup, ramen noodles, jello, fried eggs and instant mashed potatoes.  My mom made chicken parmasan on Wednesday night and I was so hungry I made a plate for myself.  I thought I would at least be able to eat little bites of chicken and some noodles.  I got to the table and everyone was eating and I tried so hard to join them...but it hurt too bad.  Even the noodles.  It would take me so long to chew up a tiny bite of chicken that it just wasn't worth it.  So I just started crying. 

I can't even explain this overwhelming feeling of not being able to eat normal food.  My stomach is growling, the smells are making my mouth water and watching everyone else around me eat is just plain torture.  In my mind, I think I can handle it, but then I start chewing and it takes so much energy and it is painful to chew because I can 't move my tongue around in my mouth like normal.  It's exhausting to chew because I'm concentrating on it so much and by the time I swallow a tiny mashed up bite...the satisfaction is not there. I mean, what am I thinking.  I just had a tonsillectomy less than a week ago and I think chicken parmasan is a good idea???

 It's so weird.  I've never felt this way about eating before.  I miss everything about it.

Wednesday night, I was already for bed...excited that I could lay my pillow down a little more flat since some of the swelling has subsided.  After I dozed off for a few minutes, I woke up coughing violently!.  It felt as though a tiny piece of yarn was dangling in the back of my throat.  I kept coughing and coughing, almost feeling like I was going to throw up.  This had to be the most painful and scary part of the whole week yet.  After I calmed down and was able to drink some water, I looked in my throat with a flash light.  There it was...a huge piece of yellowish gray scab hanging down. Gross, I know.  At 11:00 at night, the scabs start to fall off. 

Needless to say, neither Gerry or I got much sleep that night.  I coughed a lot the next day, but thankfully the tickly feeling subsided.

Thursday was a big day for me.  I ate a piece of Imo's cheese pizza! It took me about 45 minutes, but by golly! I finished it!

The scabs are continuing to come off, but it's not nearly as painful as I have read about.  I think it helps that I am drinking water constantly throughout the day.  Waking in the middle of the night and first thing in the morning is the worst, but once I have a few sips of water, it starts to feel better.


One week post op and I am feeling pretty decent.  My mom got Naomi off to school this morning with no problems.  When her and Maria got home, they made chocolate chip cookies and more jello for me. 

For lunch, I ate an entire bologna and cheese sandwich. Yay me!!! I smushed it down really good and just took my time.  I followed each bite with a drink of water but it tasted so good!

In sad news, today is my mom's last day.  Once Gerry gets off work, he will be on vacation all next week.  We will miss her for sure and we appreciate everything she has done for us this week.  Couldn't have done it without her!!!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...