Tuesday, June 8, 2010

A week of adventures

The day after we arrived home from Branson, I crawled out of bed, made some coffee and realized I had made plans with my friend Erin to go to Grant's Farm.  I checked the weather: high of 91 with 80% humidity.  Great.

I scurried around getting the diaper bag packed.  I was able to shower (bonus) and get the kids dressed.  I knew Erin had taken the day off work and we had this planned for months.  But something in me just didn't feel like lathering the kids up with sunscreen and taking them out into the brutal heat.  I frantically brainstormed about things we could do indoors...you know, air conditioning and NO SUN!

I know I sound like a weirdo, but honestly, as much as I love doing things outside, I am deathly afraid of the sun.  I am afraid of it for me and for my kids.  I constantly struggle with protecting my kids from the sun versus letting them be kids and enjoy being outside.  It's very hard and it can be paralyzing.

So, after kicking around a few ideas with Erin about what else we could do, I decided to buck up and go to Grant's Farm after all.  I can honestly say that I was so happy we went. It was a fun time and we left before it got too hot!

                                                                  Erin and Naomi on the tram
Maria enjoying the tram. (so glad she agreed to wear that hat!!!)
Feeding the goats...she giggled the whole time!
Then I couldn't get her away from the goats...she wanted to pet every one!
Naomi looking at the goats from a distance!




So, this trip set the tone for the week.  I faced my fears each day with an outdoor activity.  I promised myself, and my kids, that this summer would be full of fun activities, instead of staying inside and watching TV.

The next day, Maria's friends from pre-school met at a park and had a picnic.  Although I still loaded them up with sunscreen, we lucked out by having a pretty cloudy day.  It even rained while we ate lunch under the pavilion.  The kids were absolutely filthy when we got home.

Dirt covered legs, sand filled shoes, sticky faces and necks from spilled juice boxes!  As I was putting them in the tub I thought "Now this is what summer is all about!"






Later that evening we dropped Maria off at Gerry's parent's house.  His mom took some vacation and wanted to spend some time with Maria so she spent the night at their house.  It was nice having some one on one time with Naomi the next day.  I don't get that very often!  She's a fun kid!

To end the week, Friday we invited some little kids over whose mom's are getting ready to have babies!  I called it a Pregnancy Relief Playdate!  Our sister-in-law, Laura, and my brother's 2 sisters-in-law, Kristy and Sara are ready to pop.  So, we had their little ones, Olivia, Gavin and Micah, come over for some fun!

We read stories and had circle time, made a fun snack, played outside in the pool, and ate lunch! Whew!  What a day.  I almost nixed the pool idea because it was so hot (and the sun was SOOO bright), but I didn't let fear take over.  I covered them, head to toe, with sunscreen and then enjoyed shooting them with the hose while they splashed each other! Luckily Naomi was napping during this time, so I didn't have to worry about her!

                                          Olivia decorating pudding in ice cream cone cups!
Gavin's masterpiece!
This is the best!
Group shot!
Naomi
Pool Party inside?
Now that's more like it!
They're not quite sure...it's a little cold!

Olivia
Ahhh...having a drink by the pool! 
Micah

Alright...nobody move! And nobody pee on my floor!


Lunch time!
Gavin just loves Naomi.  Ha wanted me to take a picture of the 2 of them! Cute!
Partied out and passed out!
Hey guys...where's the party?


It was a great end to a great week.  I loved having all those kids around.  It made me miss my days at the daycare...just a little!  We will definitely have to do it again! Now if those little babies could just get here soon!  We can't wait to meet them all!

Maria and Naomi were exhausted each day from playing so hard.  I hope this inspires me to be creative with our summer and keep doing fun things!

1 comment:

Laura G said...

Glad you guys got outdoors, especially since the weather has been bad this week! The pics from the playdate are really cute! Thanks again for doing it, it was much needed and appreciated.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...